Friday, February 11, 2011

Stephanie's party

"Mom, can we have a special play day? Maybe we can have it when Jessica and Michael come home. When is daddy coming home? Late? Well, maybe we can just have it with us. I will get it ready. I have 4 tickets. (She has cut out pieces of paper with everyon'e name on it - invitations) I will get ready. So here we can read, and here we can play with my dinosaurs. (she places things as in play stations). Okay. So when Michael and Jessica come home we can have our party play day."

Michael arrives.
"Michael we are going to have a special day today. But we have to wait until Jessica gets home. See. We can play here!"
Michael goes off to violin lessons. Jessica arrives.

"Mom, I don't think Jessica wants to play with me"  Eyes lowered and looking very deflated.
"Well, did you give her the invitation? "
"Oh!" She skips off to Jessica's room.
"Okay Jessica so we are going to have a special play day"
.....no response.
1 hour later.

"Mom. The party's over. "
"What do you mean?"
"Nobody wants to play. So the party's over"
"Well, we can play tomorrow?"
"How can I clean all this up and do it all over again?"
"It's no biggie. We can play tomorrow because tomorrow is Saturday"

A few hours later.
Stephanie shows up in the bathroom as I am washing up. She is carrying her art box that looks like a tool box in one hand and the other leaning on the door frame. I noticed that she had on her watch.
"So mom. Did you say you needed something fixed?"
"Oh...are you handy mandy? Uh..yes. My bed is broken"
"Okay. I can fix it!"
And she runs off happily. I hear banging and sighing and heaving.
"There! All done!"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Here she is surrounded by 3 other people in the house and not one of them turning out to be a decent playmate.

"Mom. Here's your card. Come early tomorrow. Don't forget!" She is making the rounds again passing out the invitations to Jessica and Michael. I also hear her talking...to her invisible friend.  I can still hear her in the next room:
"If you come early you will get this sticker Jessica!"

5 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart to hear the hope in her voice, then the obvious dejection...:(, then her hope for tomorrow. I think she needs a party.
    When you guys come to visit, we'll have to have one just for her.xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I don't know whether to laugh or cry either. Just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! And yes, tell Stephanie that when she comes to Canada, she will get a big party and all of her cousins will come and it will be JUST for her and we can play whatever she wants. Perhaps I will even send her an invitation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second that OMG...Stephanie, please send me an invite to your next party and I will be there...might be via skype though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 불쌍한 스테파니~!
    이것을 모두 비디오 카메라로 찍어서 나중에 제시카와 마이클에게 보여주었으면 좋겠네요.
    우리 어른들은, 실제 보다 동영상에 나온 사실을 더욱 사실로 받아들이는 요즘 세대들의 슬픈 현실을 지켜보면서... -_-

    ReplyDelete