Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ohbba

Jessica has often said to me that she wished she had an older brother. I remember as a child wishing that I had an older sibling too. As I watch the dynamics of Michael and Stephanie in their relationship, I am touched and amazed.  And I am so glad for Stephanie that she has an older brother. She is one lucky girl.  I love hearing their dialogues and often think I need to write them down as they are so precious and wonderfully honest. This is what I heard Michael say to Stephanie just the other day after reconciling over some disagreement. Note: the "elder" is referring to himself:

"Stephanie, you have to listen to your elders because they have lived longer and they know more and they are more experienced. Okay?"
Stephanie in complete seriousness :" Uh huh"

On another occasion, Stephanie received some pocket money from her grandmother. Michael looked at her in complete seriousness, told her to put it in her pocket to keep it safe until we got home.
"Stephanie, you need to save your money and not spend it on ice cream because you have to save your money for university and for a house when you grow up and also to look after mom and dad when they get old"
Stephanie looking a little disappointed but complied : "okay"

What touches me about these conversations is that Michael is completely sincere and has Stephanie's best interest at heart. He really wants to be a good teacher to her and give her good advice. And even more beautiful is Stephanie's compliance. Despite her frequent spats and challenges, she looks up to her ohbba, older brother, for guidance and takes what he says to heart.  These are the moments I cherish; the precious joys of parenthood.  Now if I could only figure out how to get that older brother for Jessica...

2 comments:

  1. I love reading stuff like this. It just makes you smile and simplifies things. You're right; Stephanie is one lucky girl to have a loving brother like Michael. Michael is one lucky guy to have someone on which he can exercise his guidance and maturity. Jessica is one lucky young lady to be able to seek and find for herself that which is given to some, thus making her a stronger person as well as having you as her "Ohbba". You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely see the conversation in my mind's eye - expressions on their face, and all! Keep sharing - it helps to reduce the geographic distance between our families :-)

    ReplyDelete