Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My pet crayfish

Over the past few months, I began to have an interest towards crayfish, which are freshwater relatives to lobsters. Unlike lobsters, crayfish can grow up three to four inches, which is just about the right size for a normal tank. But the main reason I seem to find crayfish interesting is their colours. You see, all crayfish come in different shapes and sizes, as well as colour. At the moment I have three Electric blue crayfish, plus a pretty big Red swamp crayfish. Recently, one of my Electric blue crayfish was missing from the tank. A few minutes later, I realized that my crayfish has been going through a phase in a crustacean's life cycle. My crayfish finally molted!
In general molting takes place when a crustacean is too small for its old shell. It first sheds and grows a new shell underneath his old shell. Now, I'll show you some pictures and videos from online, so you can have a closer look at a molting crayfish, and a Red swmap crayfish and a Electric blue crayfish.

2 comments:

  1. So cool! We are going to get crayfish when you get here, Michael! You write very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, you better be careful...you know how much your mom loves to eat lobster. I hope she doesn't eat your crayfish :-)

    ReplyDelete