Friday, June 18, 2010

Missing Michael

Michael left for Maryland today to visit his cousin Hoseok for the summer. He was quite anxious and scared though he didn't make much of it. We addressed all of his fears and tried to focus on a fun filled summer of swimming, crayfish hunting, and spending time with Hoseok and Eemo. Michael didn't get sad or teary, and gave us quick hugs and good byes. He followed the attendant through the security check and disappeared with all the travellers headed for their respective gates. We sat for a while to hear back that he was safely on the plane. It was such a convenience for him to have his phone so that he could call us from the gate to say our final good byes. I don't know how we ever got on without cell phones.

On the ride back I heard wimpering and then sobbing in the back. Stephanie had a little break down last night after helping pack Michael's suitcase. She ran to her room, threw herself on her bed and cried into her pillow. At first I thought Michael had done something or said something, but when I asked her, she said that she would miss Michael. I thought she was over it but when she started weeping againon the ride back, my heart broke once again. I was so busy trying to make sure that Michael would be strong that I didn't think about how I or the other children would react. It was much harder for me to see him go and had to psyche myself out to not show any tears. I never expected Stephanie to take it so hard as they are constantly at each other's throat. It was a testament to how close these children are to one another and even though Jessica tried to stay cool, I know that she too will miss Michael while he is away. I am comforted knowing that our children will always be there for each other.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. It brings back memories of when Grace left. I know it's not easy to be a part, but it gets better. Michael has such a positive attitude. We saw him walk out of the customs area very confident and looking good. He arrived safely, and said the flight was fine. I will call you later to fill you in. The boys have been yappity yappity since the minute they reunited, and still playing. They may want to pace themselves but they are just so happy to be together....They both commented on how much each had grown and how mature they seemed. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! poor Srephanie```

    The photo mekes me confused as like I am seeing a little boy Stephano and a little girl Madlene.
    Mike is taking after his father more and more with age.

    ReplyDelete